Thursday, June 21, 2012

You're Gonna Need A Bigger Trailer

I hope that summer has been treating everyone well! I apologize for my absence from the blog, I have been busy lately. I have enjoyed quite a few of the summer movies that have come out so far and hope that you have done the same! However, the one I am anticipating the most, The Dark Knight Rises, comes out in less than a month! This leads me to the topic of this blog post: anticipation.

What is is about a trailer that can draw in the masses? Is it the fact that it is able to reveal the whole story in 2 minutes without completely giving away everything? Is it because this is the first time fans and moviegoers get a taste for whats to come? For me a trailer can set my anticipation level bar. If it is a great trailer for a movie that I am already interested in, then it will only shoot that excitement through the roof. If it is a so so trailer that feels like it has been done a thousand times, I know this is likely a film that i will have the bar set low enough that the people limboing on roller skates would have trouble passing under.

June 20 saw the release of the first real trailer for Breaking Dawn Part 2. The final installment in the worldwide mega-hit franchise will sadly come to an end in November. Most people know what happens to Bella and the Cullens, but that does not mean there is not some mystery in what the film has to offer Twihards. The trailer does a good job of wetting the appetite, but not showing too much in order to preserve some of the mystery (until the second, third, forth trailers and commercials are released). Take a look for yourself at the trailer filled with pale, red eyed vampires and Taylor Lautner: http://youtu.be/5xOSoONDpY4 (Thanks to FilmsActuTrailers for the video)

This is one of many trailers that have me in a tizzy this week:

A new Dark Knight Rises trailer arrived and it has even more goodies in it then the previous 3. Some people are avoiding them in order to remained unspoiled, but for me this one only raised even more questions and a need to see the movie today! Christopher Nolan & company will certainly make a ton of money off of this final installment, but will it beat The Avengers? I personally think that bar was set very high, but if anyone can it is the caped crusader. I will see all of you diehards at midnight!

The Hobbit trailer has been out for some time, but I saw it for the first time in 3d yesterday when I enjoyed Titanic once again on the big screen. The first of two films from Peter Jackson arrives in December and I cannot wait! I have been waiting 9 years to return to Middle Earth and it is finally about to happen! Another trailer that was shown was The Great Gatsby. Leo certainly has grown up since his days as Jack Dawson, but he sure knows how to rock a white suit coat as Gatsby. This film is sure to have filmgoers flocking to the multiplexes on Christmas. Finally, the first trailer for Anna Karenina has arrived. The film stars Keira Knightley, Jude Law and Aaron Johnson. It looks magically depressing, but sure to be wonderful from director Joe Wright (Atonement). These three films, along with Twilight, share a common thread as each are adapted from a beloved book.

Is anyone else excited about these films? How many times do you watch a trailer before, and even after a films release? Have I missed any that you are losing your mind over?

Above all things I hope that the anticipation does not lead to a let down on any of these films or any others for that matter. If I have learned anything over these last 25 years it is that nothing can please everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment